*The Dalai Lama often concludes his comments with this statement. He then listens to the views of others.

Monday, July 12, 2010

Inaugural Blog

So, KKT, what kinds of things matter to you so much you'll take time to write blogs about them without even knowing who, if anyone, will read the words you put down?

I want to write about stuff that makes me clench my fist, like people who rant about what is wrong with someone else (young people today, or folks from a different neighborhood, or writers, or conservatives, or English professors). Or arguments that illogically blame technology or other inanimate things for human problems. Stupidity that thinks of itself as smart. Pigheadedness masquerading as principle. Get it? I'm shaking my fist in my own face right this second.

Or, if I'm brave enough, I might write about things that make me cry, like beautiful people. Or mean people. Or people who have given up. That would be more difficult by far than writing about the things that make me angry so I doubt I will do that very soon.

And then there are political and personal issues that matter so much to me I will leave my relatively safe world of reading and writing and thinking to stand up in front of people and share my views out loud. About the human right to choice in marriage. About the abuse of religion for political trafficking. About the use of fear and emotional blackmail to control children.

I will write about books, too, because books really, really matter. Awesome books like Moby-Dick and The Hidden Hand, but also humbler books such as Lord Edgeware Dies. I will also write about writing and writers, because I write and I teach writers and I hang out with writers and we all find ourselves most interesting and we like to write about that as well as to write whatever else it is that we write.

That is my view.

No comments:

Post a Comment